How to go camping, hiking, and canoeing with your children?
Photo by Yogendra Singh from Pexels
Fresh air, incredible views, wildlife, starry nights. All this will definitely interest your child and he or she will gladly go hiking with you. But camping kids must know several rules which will help to turn your hike into incredible adventure, safe and interesting.
In this article, we have prepared some tips for camping with kids which will help to make your hike unforgettable, without unpleasant surprises.
Before you go camping
- Test sleepover at home: if your children have never gone camping, put a tent in the backyard or even in the apartment. Let them play or sleep there. In this way, it will be easier for them to get used to the new environment.
- Go for a walk or a short trip: before you go hiking, spend a weekend with your family in the nearest park or near the lake and see how your children will react.
- Notes: Write down reminders for future trips: “I must take sunscreen for me and my family”, “I must take long pants for me and my kids.”
How to prepare for going camping
Involve your children: Plan a trip with the whole family. Ask your camping kids what they want to see and where they want to go.
- Let your kids prepare for going hiking on their own: Your children can pack their kids camping bag and prepare camping gear for kids on their own. Prepare a list of things they must take and check whether everything is packed before you go hiking.
- Follow these rules of fire safety: If you plan to build a fire, make sure that it’s allowed to build a fire in a place where you are going to have a rest. If not, everyone in your family must know about it.
- Follow rules of water safety: If you are going to go canoeing with your kids, learn some water safety rules with them to protect them from unpleasant situations.
The choice of good camping gear will make your hike more comfortable and enjoyable.
- First of all, buy a good tent. A great option will be to acquire a separate tent for young travelers.
- No less important camping gear is a sleeping bag. When choosing a sleeping bag, first of all, you should pay attention to the temperature regime, its weight, and compactness. Then you should decide what type of sleeping bag you want – a cocoon or a blanket.
- Camping furniture and various accessories will make your recreation in nature more comfortable.
In a camping
- Be positive: Be prepared for the inconvenience. Show your camping kids an example of an optimistic attitude. Invent interesting camping games for kids.
- Choose a place for important things: For example, “forks and spoons are stored in a blue can” and “flashlights are in a green bag”.
- Teach your children to orientate: Help your camping kids to remember your campsite number or special signs.
- Meals: Prepare everything at home – chop and seal vegetables in plastic bags, use canned food and products that are easy to cook. There are a lot of tip on the Internet on how to cook easy camping meals for kids.
- Safety: Children should always wear a whistle (teach them to whistle as soon as they get lost). Flashlights should be in an easily accessible place.
These simple tips will help you to spend a great time together with your children.
Do you go camping with your children? What recommendations can you give for those who are going to go camping together with children? Share your experience.
Joshua Sherman likes to go hiking and camping. In his article, he shares his experience of how to go hiking and have a great time if you have kids. Don’t feel shy to use his helpful tips.