In my opinion, the only effective way to fight hot summer days is to have the fridge packed with chilled delicacies. For example, a few servings of white chocolate milk-rice with caramelized strawberries on top. I told you.
I won’t repeat myself by telling you about my relationship with summer, as you already know about it, dear Reader. We should rather talk about how we could make these hot days easier and more bearable. If I asked my kids, they would definitely vote for a huge swimming pool on our balcony, preferably with a waiter, who brings them refreshing lemonades and iced delicacies every minute.
It is a nice dream I have to say, but since our balcony is not very wide, the pool is not feasible. We also don’t have a waiter, it’s just me instead, and I don’t do the serving part, since it takes two movements to open and close the fridge, plus the balcony is also 20 small steps away… On the other hand, I enjoy making chilled delicacies, because I’m hoping that from the dozens of servings a little will be left for me as well…or not. But let’s be optimistic!
I have tried lots of chilled delicacies already, from home-made ice cream to strawberry panna cotta, but I wanted something different this time. My kids love milk-rice, I myself also like the fruity version. But if I am being honest, it is a little bit boring. This was when I found a recipe on one of my favourite gastro-blogs – which to my sadness, is only rarely updated nowadays – and I immediately knew this was the winner. The only thing I changed on the original recipe is that I made it with fresh rice, I did not wait for it to cool down, but instead I worked with it right away. I also used the caramelized strawberries ice cold.
White chocolate milk-rice with caramelized strawberries
- 150 ml of rice
- 300 ml of water
- a big pinch of salt
- 200 ml of milk
- 100+100 ml cream
- 1 packed teaspoon of creamy custard powder cream or vanilla
- 100 g white chocolate
- 2-3 spoonfuls of sugar
- caramelized strawberries:
- ½ spoonful of butter
- 3 spoonfuls of sugar
- 2 handfuls of washed, peeled, cut up strawberries
- Cook the rice the traditional way in 300 ml of water with a big pinch of salt.
- Put it aside for a while.
- Make the caramelized strawberries: melt the butter in a small frying pan, add the sugar and stir until it has a nice light golden color.
- Add the cut up strawberries and stir until the sugar completely melts, then put aside to cool down.
- Put the cooked rice back on the stove, add the milk, and 100 ml of cream. Heat them together, let the rice soak up the cream and the milk a little bit.
- Meanwhile, mix the custard powder - cream or vanilla - with the 2-3 spoonfuls of sugar and the leftover 100 ml cream.
- When the rice starts cooking again, add the custard powder mixture to it and continue cooking for a few minutes (about 3 minutes)
- Take the milk-rice off the stove, add chunks of white chocolate and stir until all of the chocolate is melted.
- Put the done rice into cups, let it cool down for a while.
- Dispel the cooled caramelized strawberries on top and put them in the fridge until you consume it.