The only thing I like in carnival holidays is the homemade jam doughnut.
In my country, there’s no carnival holidays in February without homemade doughnuts. There are many types of this pastry, but my favorite one is the Berliner or the jam doughnut.
This pastry reminds me of my childhood, of my grandma who was a master of baking doughnuts. Because of her for a long while I didn’t even try to make any kind of doughnuts, but then I became a mom of five kids. And there was no excuse for me anymore.
It thought it’s something difficult to make but I’ve recently realized it was much easier than I’d imagined. Okay, in my family it takes more time to make enough – I mean 70-80 pieces – but it is worth the effort.
Traditional carnival doughnut
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 50 g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 200 ml lukewarm milk
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Combine flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a bowl. Make a well.
- Mix in milk, butter and egg until dough starts to come together (it may be sticky).
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it.
- Place in a warm spot to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Roll out dough until 1cm thick.
- Cover it again and place in a warm spot to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Use a doughnut cutter cut the dough into shapes (if you do not have a cutter, you can cut using a thin rimmed glass).
- Allow the doughnuts to prove in a warm spot.
- Make a little well with your finger in the middle of every doughnut.
- Heat 2 inches of oil to 350°F /175°C.
- Add about 4 doughnuts at a time to the oil, cooking on the first side (where is the well) until golden brown underneath, about 1 minute.
- Flip doughnuts and cook on the other side, until it, too, is golden brown underneath, about another minute.
- Drain doughnuts, then spread them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb extra oil. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
- Spoon jam into the well and on the top of the doughnuts and dust with icing sugar.
If you like the carnival holidays and you want to make happy your child, just CLICK HERE AND DOWNLOAD some fun masks.