Why is good to have cookie stamps? I have two good reasons…
First of all you can create adorable cookies with personalized messages for you family and friends. But with a cookie stamp you can even make Christamas decorations too if you use a special homemade clay making from baking soda and cornstarch.
I bought my first cookie stamp collection when Husband told me not to buy any more store cookies for our children because they’re unhealthy and full of artificial ingredients. I agreed with him and I started to bake homemade cookies for my kids. But I found them too simple and flat, and that was the moment when I realized I couldn’t live without cookie stamps.
But cookie stamps can be used not only in the kitchen, but they’re very useful if you make do-it-yourself Christmas decorations.
Cinnamon butter cookies
- ½ cup+1 tablespoon butter
- 2,7 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1,4 cup icing sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon milk
- In a mixer bowl, cream together sugar and butter.
- Add to the mixture the other ingredients and blend well.
- Wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 356F/180C.
- On a slightly floured surface, roll out dough to an 1/10-inch thickness.
- Cut out circles with cookie cutters and decorate them with the stamps.
- Transfer cut-out circles to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until edges are golden, 18-20 minutes.
- Cool cookies 1 minute on sheets, and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Seal them in an airtight container.
Homemade clay for ornaments
It looks like salt dough but it’s much more better.
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 cup baking soda
- 1,25 cup water
- combine the cornstarch, baking soda, and water in a medium sized pot
- stir over medium heat
- after a few minutes, the mixture will begin to thicken
- when it looks like smooth, mashed potatoes, remove the pot from the heat
- spoon the dough into a bowl and cover it with a damp cloth until it’s cool
- knead it on a smooth surface until smooth
- preheat oven to 175F/80C
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- roll out clay to 1/4 inch thick on a surface lightly dusted with cornstarch
- use your cookie stamps as you would create just cookies
- if you want to hang your ornaments later, use a straw to make a hole at the top of them
- place them in the oven for about an hour (turn them over halfway through cooking)
- if you want to make colored dough, add food coloring to the water before you mix it in