Is it a good idea to bake bread at home? Yes, definitely!
I’ve thought to bake bread at home is something very difficult and complicated. But after 4 years baking bread by myself, my opinion changed.
How I started?
The beginning was hard. I thought it would be the best if I bought a bread maker. For years I made bread in it. The first pieces didn’t look like bread they were far more like hard disks. But the kids loved them, they played with them for hours very well… hahaha.
As my family was getting larger and larger bread maker proved itself to be too small. One day it wearied of much work and it went to ruin. I would have been able to buy a new bread maker, but I decided to try the traditional method: baking bread in oven.
Why is homemade bread is better than anything?
- you know exactly what kind of ingredients you use
- you will never be short of bread at home
- it’s a very good family program with kids
- it increases your confidence you can even make this too (I feel proud that I can equip my family with this basic food without external assistance)
You can make homemade bread in hundreds ways but everybody has its own best recipe. I’ve got too. It’s a basic bread recipe, but I like it because it’s easy to do and the success is – almost – always guaranteed.
- 4,8 cups of flour (I use all purpose flour)
- ½ oz active dry yeast
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3/5 cup of olive oil
- ⅕ cup of vinegar
- 2,9 cup of lukewarm water
- Pour the liquid ingredients into your food processor.
- Add to it the flour, sugar, salt and the active dry yeast last.
- Mix them together (it takes 4-5 min).
- When it's ready it's kneading time: push, fold, slap and roll the dough around over and over by hand for about 1-2 min.
- Put the dough in a bowl and cover it, and allow it to prove for about half an hour until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, knock the air out by bashing it.
- Leave it to prove for a second time for 30 minutes until it has doubled in size once more.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/446°F. Put some water in a casserole and place it on the bottom of the oven.
- Place your bread dough in a big - flour-dusted - glass casserole (water a little the inside of the top of casserole).
- Bake for an hour then remove the top of the casserole and bake the bread until cooked and golden brown. (It takes about 25-35 min.)
- Place the bread on a rack and allow it to cool.